Re: do_exit and process termination

On Friday 19 August 2005 11:47, Bhanu Kalyan Chetlapalli wrote:
> I am not very sure, but actually functions like _exit etc are declared
> using the GCC attribute "noreturn". Even if you are using different
> functions, there is a good chance that this attribute might be set.
>
> From unistd.h
>
> extern void _exit (int __status) __attribute__ ((__noreturn__));
>
> noreturn attribute *may* not restore the registers saved by the
> calling function (as part of the optimization). This can possibly
> explain the segmentation violations etc.

I don't think this is the cause of segfault as, when I return back to a
previous system state, I restore registers relative to threads I'm
monitoring. If I restore the register of all threads all at once, they
restart from a previous state. The error occurs when, after a restoring, the
threads reach the end. At this point, the segfault occurs.
Do you have an idea on how I can manage the sys_exit using a technique
different from the syscall hijacking.
Thanks.
Vincenzo Mallozzi.

http://mail.yahoo.it