kernel compilation

hi!!

Can anyone suggest me a better document than kernel compilation README,which explains each and every steps of kernel compilation?

What is system.map file used for?

What if i don't create initrd image after kernel compilation?

For example,i compile my linux kernel and select an option that leads to disaster,I mean due to which after reboot i can not boot my machine.
Then in this case how can i revert back to my original settings?

Everytime after i recompile my kernel i have to reinstall my network device driver and vmware drivers?Is there any solution to get rid of this problem?
Can i not backup my modules and related settings?

Thanks in advance,
Pavan.