Re: Process adress space (during context/process switch) + VM question

Hello guys...

First of all, you're welcome, Tom. Mind you, I am still newbie too,
that's why I am here :)) LKML is still like UFC or Muay Thai arena for
me :))

> Thank you Hemant for such a clear discussion.  I'll put it down in my
> HOWTO section :) Most of my doubts are cleared now and for the rest,
> I'll hit 'em books.

Tom, I am not trying to put some load here. But would you like to write
a resume of all this discussion  and post it to wiki.kernelnewbies.org
or perhaps as a new entry on Kernelnewbies.org FAQ? IMHO it will be
helpful for anyone else, because:

1. One can search the answer quickly just by visiting kernelnewbies.org
main site

2. People here on kernelnewbies mailing list can concentrate on further
"confusion" such as "is COW applied to text section?"

3. everyone will be happy because it is less likely someone who asks
similar question will receive answer like "RTFC", "Dig the archieve,
dude" or even worst "You ruin my mood today" :)) And who knows, someone
else will add more explanations on the FAQ? :)

> > AFAIK, the process related kernel variables are overwritten at
> > every context switch. Please CMIIW.
>
> If someone could please confirm this either ways, that'd be great.

Hermant: do you mean something like "thread_info" which is put the
kernel stack so someone can easily find currently running process'
task_struct just by issuing "current" macro? If so..then (even I don't
see the whole code) my answer...yes, it is overwritten. Other example
are rq->curr (i forgot the exact name, kindly CMIIW) which point to
currently running process on the run queue.

regards

Mulyadi