Re: two kernel versions

Hi,
I've never used GRUB, but I think the mechanism is the same as for LILO.
When I want to add a new linux to lilo, I create three new files:
config, System.map and vmlinux by mean of a ricompilation just as you've done.
Now, you've to copy these three files in /boot dir naming them with a
different name.
Ex:

cd /usr/src/testlinux
cp .config /boot/config_testlinux
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinux_testlinux
cp System-map /boot/System_testlinux.map

At this point, you've only to add this new data to Grub configuration file.
I don't now if, after this addings, you have to execute some commands with
Grub. In the case of lilo, after the addings, you've to execute the command
"lilo" to update system information about booting.

Vincenzo Mallozzi.

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 14:49, vidiyala prashanth wrote:
> i'm new to kernel and would like to work on modules/device drivers
> i have a dual boot system(win98 and linux 2.4.21-4.EL).
> i wanted a third option  in my boot promp as "test linux".for this i made a
copy of the original usr/src/linux 2.4.21-4.EL as usr/src/testlinux and
proceeded with the configure and compiling of this kernel and generated the
bzimage and system.map.
> i have GRUB(0.9).since i already have the bzimage and system.map in my /boot
folder for my original linux 2.4.21-4.EL , now how should i accomodate the
bzimage and system.map which i generated for testlinux in the same /boot
folder , so that i can have total 3 options in my grub.conf. what does initrd
do?how should i generate it?

http://mail.yahoo.it