kernel stack vs. user stack

Hi all,

thank you all for the answers to my last question! That really did help a
lot.

I am now trying to define the "struct thread_struct" for my target
architecture. I as inspected the code for other architectures, I found there
two stack pointers. For intel (i386): esp0 and esp; for Motorola: ksp and
usp (the comment here says, these are the kernel stack pointer and user
stack pointer; so I guess, esp0 and esp play basically the same role).

Unfortunatelly, I couldn't find any explanations (in the books I have) about
these two different stacks/stack pointers. Does someone have an idea, what
it is all about? I mean, why do I need two separate stack pointers?

regards,
Paul