Re: 2.6.0 problem with usb_set_configuration

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:51:12 -0700, Greg KH wrote
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 03:41:34PM -0500, ericj wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am working on a system using BlueCat Linux 5.0 (kernel 2.6.0).
>
> Woah.  Stop right there.  Please update your kernel version, that kernel
> is _very_ old and contains loads of bugs.
>
> Try this on 2.6.12 if you can.

I cannot say that I disagree, but I don't expect that I can make that happen.
Actually, I'd love to upgrade the kernel if allowed.

> > We are
> > running into a problem where if the user rapidly inserts and removes USB
> > devices, the calls to usb_set_configuration call eventually fails (after
> > somewhere around 5-15 attempts). The error I am receiving is "can't set config
> > #1, error -71", which is in usb_new_device.
> >
> > Unfortunately, we are compelled by business decisions to stick with this
> > kernel, although we can probably (there are some binary-only drivers involved)
> > patch the usb core stuff up to something more current.
>
> That's a very stupid business decision.  Remind the people making
> that decision about all of the security problems that are known in that
> kernel, and how easy it will be to break your product once it is
> released.

On the plus side for the project, the device does not have networking,
keyboard, serial or exposed standard USB ports (the USB devices in question
have a physical connector similar to a cell phone or PDA). The USB devices in
question are just modified USB CF adapters, that load somewhat-authenticated
files to the device. The motherboard is a VIA Epia PD10000, if it matters.

I understand that you're not recommending this path, but I would appreciate
some pointers because I don't believe that I can avoid going down it.

-- Eric Johnson
-- ericj at ericj dot net