Re: NTFS mount problem

On 26 Jul 2005 17:56:35 +0530, Anurag Verma <averma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
> I have installed windows xp and linux both on my laptop.
> Laptop is having intel architecture.
> Linux Kernel is  2.4.20-8.
> >From linux i m unable to mount my NTFS windows device file system.
> Can anybody know, how to provide support for NTFS filesytem.
>
> Thanks
> Anurag

Make sure you have NTFS support compiled either in the kernel or as a
module.  If it is compiled as a module, which I recommend, make sure
it is loaded.  You can check if it's loaded by doing an lsmod.  You
can check if it's compiled in the kernel or as a module by grepping
for it in your kernel .config file:

grep NTFS .config

CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
# CONFIG_NTFS_RW is not set

If I recall correctly, the version of NTFS that comes with the 2.4.20
kernel is only a read-only version.  There is write support for it,
however it is very dangerous to use and not recommended.

If it is installed correctly, here is the way to mount a NTFS filesystem:

mkdir /mnt/ntfs
mount /dev/hdXX /mnt/ntfs -t ntfs -r

XX obviously being the hard drive letter and partition number for the
NTFS drive.

For more info: http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

Chris