Re: Timers in user application.

man pthread_cond_timedwait

--
Hiran

Ranjith Ganesh R wrote:
Hi , thanx for the immediate response.

The usage is

1. the Intervel is in both hours, minutes and in milliseconds.
2. Accuracy no delay acceptable.
3. usage of timers will be done like, more than one timer for a child process. example is one timer for polling, one timer for response timeout. Like this i am intending to use ten timers as a whole for about 4 child process.
4. When time is expired, our own handler should be triggered for a set of operation. thats it. No file operation is done in our application.

with thanx and regards,
rg.

Tetsuo Handa <from-kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 07/23/05 01:42PM >>>

Hello,

My user application needs some ten timers to be
used for data sharing and other timing outs.

What is the interval(longer than some seconds or just some milliseconds)?
How much accuracy (no delay acceptable, some delay acceptable) do you need?
How do you use timers (one timer per fork()'ed process,
all timers in one process, all timers in pthread_create()'ed processes)?
What do you want to do when time expired(send signals, call some functions)?

The easiest way I think is to use select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, &tv).

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/