problem with 2.4.30

hello all!!

I have 3 ethernet cards on one machine.I installed fresh mandrake 9.2 with kernel 2.4.21 kernel.

at the time of installation everything was detected and it is working properly with the 2.4.21 kernel. After that i compiled and upgraded to 2.4.30 kernel.But under this kernel none of my ethernet cards are detected?

when i try #ifup eth0 it gives following error:
ne2k-pci does not seem to be present ,delaying initialization

the same type of errors occur when i try to activate interfaces eth1 and eth2 ...other network drivers are tulip and 8139too...

Even running iptables also gives me error.Is there any problem with the 2.4.30 kernel or there is problem with the kernel complitation procedure...

i have done following steps to compile the kernel:

1) untarred and placed the source of the kernel 2.4.30 under /usr/src/
2) i executed following commands in sequence:

#make menuconfig
#make dep
#make bzImage modules modules_install

3)after i copied the newly created bzImage to /boot and made appropriate changes in lilo.conf
4)for initrd i did following:
#cd /lib/modules/2.4.30
#mkinitrd initrd-2.4.30.img 2.4.30/
this created an inird file i copied it into /boot partition.

is there anything missing?

Thanks in advance.
pavan.