Re: nfsroot

I assume that you have a configuration in which following setup is used

Server: a machine which has exported a NFS share

Client : a machine which has client booting up the kernel and not much
space . it needs to load the NFS at the boot time as it's root file
system .

farnkly this configuration would not work due to following problem

1. the client booting up would already be having a  root file system
and for changing the root file system you would need to have all the
system files in place which this client system was using . that too is
done as root and hence is very very risky .

2 you can not umount a file system in use as this would lead to in
consistent system

best solution if you want to use NFS as a root file system is to use
TFTPBOOT to throw a NBI(Network Bootable Image) kernel image and then
boot) .

I hope this helps ,

Cheers
Abhishek Kumar