Re: doubt regarding VMA

Raj wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have a doubt regarding the working of the VMA. How is a program
> executable's text region shared among processes that are running the
> same program ? I would like to understand how finally the same pages
> are shared between the 2 processes .

I'll try to explain, someone please correct me if I am wrong. Each
process has a structure that keeps a count of other processes that
access it's memory region.

Two processes can share the same memory region as long as they don't try
to write that region. If a process wants to write a shared region then
the kernel will allocate a new copy of that memory region for the
process to write to.

William