Module Configuration

Hi,

I am trying to write a module that gets loaded into the kernel early during
the boot process, and it needs to be configured with some configurations
every time. What would be the best way to initialize it? I know that
reading from a file from a module is frowned upon, but can I have a user
level helper process early during boot (to read the file and then feed it
in through ioctl, etc.)?
Any other methods anyone could think of?

Thank you very much,
Can Sar