Re: kernel error

On 7/6/05, Cristina Rivera <cris_apricot@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Last days when I compile my kernel versions, 2.4.20 and 2.4.18 I got a
> kernel error that I don't understand and I don't know how to solve.  This
> error doesn't allow me seeing X windows and only brings me to console mode.

Christina:

Please let us know the hardware you are using. From the log files, I
am assuming that its an ATI Radeon. These are common problems with
radeon; you might want to upgrade to the most recent kernel to get rid
of them. If you wish to keep the same old kernel, recompile the kernel
with the following options:

* Loadable module support -> Enable loadable module support: ENABLED
* Loadable module support -> Module unloading: ENABLED
* Loadable module support -> Automatic kernel module loading: ENABLED

The above 3 options will generally be enabled in most kernels.

* File systems -> Pseudo filesystems -> Virtual memory file system
support: ENABLED
* Processor type and features -> MTRR (Memory Type Range Register)
support: ENABLED

* Device drivers -> Character Devices -> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support):
ENABLED OR MODULE (if you don't compile this as a module, you'll have
to set "UseInternalAGPGART" to "no" in your XF86Config file)

* Device drivers -> Character Devices -> (pick the correct AGP chipset
option from the list, depending on your motherboard): ENABLED OR
MODULE

* Device drivers -> Character Devices -> Direct Rendering Manager
(XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support): DISABLED

For kernel version 2.4, the Device drivers section is not present; use
the Characted Devices section to find the relevant options.

If you are not comfortable recompiling the kernel, look it up on the
net. If that doesn't help, I recommend a kernel upgrade.

./h
--
http://www.embedded-tutorials.com - Linux, Embedded Systems Tutorials