Re: about buddy and slab allocators

So, buddy allocator is used to solve external fragmentation. But itself has internal fragmentation problem. Slab allocator is built on top of buddy allocator, and solves the internal fragmentation caused by buddy allocator. Is my undersanding right?

I'm reading the book you mentationed. That's where I got confused. I have read that part: there are two sets of caches, one for normal use, another one for DMA. What I can't understand is how the slab allocator overcome the internal fragmentation caused by buddy allocator.

Thanks!!!

Fei