Re: it is possible to EXPORT_SYMBOL a static function !

On 6/23/05, Jim Cromie <jcromie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ive tested this, the function works from elsewhere.

See the static is a compiler directive, thru this we tell compiler to
limit the scope of a variable or function ....... now at compile time
compiler checks that the variable or function is used in defined
scope, if its used outside the scope, it gives error .......... now on
other hand if we deliberately expose the static variable ot function
outside the scope by passging or returning the address of that
variable or function to some anothe function ...... compiler can not
do anything ..... it can not put a check on that ...... as the static
variable are defined in data segment they exist thruout the program's
life, so anybody have the address of that static variable or function
can access it ...... compiler can not restrict that .......

So here also we are deliberately exposing the function pointers thru
EXPORT_SYMBOL to outside there scope ...... its it not surpurise that
a static function can be exposed and can be accessed from outside the
scope in this way.

regards,
-Gaurav