Re: Re: questions about segment and its relationship with TLS/NPTL

Dear Thomas....Christophe....everyone....

Thank you for your time and effort to explain these to me.....

I will observe the details again in a week or two... right now, my best
conclusion is, LDT is created so each thread won't cross "the police
line" and access the other thread's storage. This is proven by the
result of strace that shows, during each clone syscall, a new base
address and limit are passed into kernel space in order to create new
LDT entry

Another raw conclusion I got ... from gcc -S result executed on the my
pthread progran, I did see an assembly instruction (movl IIRC) that
retrieves a content of memory address with the following format
%gs:<some offset>. So I guess, gs here is indeed used to point on the
related segment for the running thread

regards

Mulyadi