Re: New kernel project

Egry � wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I started a new kernel I18n and L10N project called The Linux Kernel
> Translation Project (TLKTP).
>
> Homepage:
> http://tlktp.sourceforge.net/

Have you considered doing a "minimal" translation, where each
message is "translated" into a very small message only large
enough to distinguish it from other messages, but large enough
to still work? (ie, use an alpanumeric code for each message,
but preserve any formatting codes in each printk string)

In the CE Linux Forum, we are always looking for ways to
reduce kernel size.  One way which we're using now eliminates
all printks (which usually saves about 200k).  However, it
would be nice to be able to use minimal messages so that it
was still possible to do debugging (using a lookup table for
the messages if necessary), while still getting *some* size
savings.

If this is possible, I might take a look and actually provide
the translation myself.  (There are automatic size-reducing
translations which don't hurt readability too much (like
removing all the vowels), but it might be good to
manually come up with the translations also.)

Let me know what you think of this idea.
 -- Tim

Tim Bird
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Electronics