Re: Is file deleted imidiately after firing rm command?

On 6/9/05, Dipti Pawar <dipti.pawar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After firing the rm filename command is the file deleted immediately by
> kernel or  does it lists such files and then delete them from system after
> a some specific interval?

Firstly, files get deleted only after the number of hardlinks reaches
zero and they are closed by all processes.

Secondly, this is going to be very filesystem specific, I am currently
writing a filesystem that batches all write operations until there is
a lot of them so the interval you ask about can be quite large.

However, syncing the filesystem should make sure all changes get
propagated to disk.

HTH

Martin Jambor