Kernel compilation problem

hello all!!

I have following questions regarding kernel 2.4.30 compilation:

1) after menuconfig i select options and save it to a configuration file .config_2.4.30.but when the config file is actually stored? 2)I want to configure minimal kernel.What can be the smallest size of the kernel possible?
3) To make the kernel minimal i removed following options:
  -> kernel automounter support
  ->Secondary extended fs support
  ->ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support

I was able to reduce kernel size to 845 KB,but when i booted from the kernel.

It gives,
ds:no socket drivers loaded
kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

Can i get a list of possible kernel panic errors and reasons from some manual or site?

4)In README file that comes with the kernel source.
It gives following steps:
make mrproper
make menuconfig
make dep bzImage modules modules_install

but it does not mention any of the steps for making initial ramdisk for my new kernel.
I am doing following for making initial ram disk:
#cd /lib/modules/kernel version
#mkinitd 2.4.30.img 2.4.30/
and when the image file is created i copy it to /boot and make appropriate entries in /etc/lilo.conf

Am i doing right thing for making inird?

5)Is there any site or manual that gives information on how to build minimal kernel?

Thanks in advance.

pavan.