Re: kernel compilation question

>I have following questions regarding kernel 2.4.30 compilation:
>
>1) after menuconfig i select options and save it to a
>configuration file
>.config_2.4.30.but when the config file is actually stored?
>2)I want to configure minimal kernel.What can be the smallest size of
>the kernel possible?

Its a relative term ..you can't have a fixed minimum size ..
it depends on what all features you want in the kernel.
If you have a system with jazzy hardware configuration..
and you want all of them to work you will definately
land up with a fat kernel.

>3) To make the kernel minimal i removed following options:
>    -> kernel automounter support
>    ->Secondary extended fs support
>    ->ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
>
>I was able to reduce kernel size to 845 KB,but when i booted from the
>kernel.
>
>It gives,
>ds:no socket drivers loaded
>kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:05
>
>Can i get a list of possible kernel panic errors and reasons from some
>manual or site?

just grep in the kernel source for panic.at least you will get a list of
all the possible kernel panic messages

cd /usr/src/linux
find . |xargs grep -e 'panic(' | less

>4)In README file that comes with the kernel source.
>It gives following steps:
>make mrproper
>make menuconfig
>make dep bzImage modules modules_install
>
>but it does not mention any of the steps for making initial
>ramdisk for
>my new kernel.
>I am doing following for making initial ram disk:
>#cd /lib/modules/kernel version
>#mkinitd 2.4.30.img 2.4.30/
>and when the image file is created i copy it to /boot and make
>appropriate entries in /etc/lilo.conf
>
>Am i doing right thing for making inird?

yes ..

>5)Is there any site or manual that gives information on how to build
>minimal kernel?

You should know your hardware well to figure what is _minimal_ in your case.
Say  kernel with math-emulation compiled in will still use the  coprocessor
if one is present: the math emulation will just never get used in that case.
the "kernel hacking" configuration details usually result in a bigger or
slower kernel (or both).
you  should probably answer 'n' to the questions for  "development",
"experimental", or "debugging" features.
You can also disable FSHOOKS

regards
lk