Re: Interaction between user and kernel space

Hello,

Christophe Lucas wrote:

Use V4L2.
Perhaps this pointers could help you :
	http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb@xxxxxxxx/msg02026.html (very old)
	http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0408.3/2684.html
	http://v4l2spec.bytesex.org/spec/format.html#AEN656

Apparently, V4L2 allows user-space programs to «negotiate» the format of the frames to be exchanged. I understand that this is useful to negotiate whether you want a RGB image or YUV image or whatever, but how can this help in decompressing a specific frame format ? I mean, the userspace program negotiate with the pwc driver. The pwc kernel driver can only capture compressed frames. Who will make the decompression ? The userspace program itself ?

(Of course, I may have completely misunderstood the possibilities of V4L2. Don't hesitate to tell me if I did).

Sincerly,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni