Help! linux on usb memory

Hi,

history:
We have developed an application which captures
packets from userspace ip queue in netfilter and
controls virus and p2p traffic on the network. Further
a bandwidth management is also developed using
userspace queueing. It is tested and working fine.

Our clients are not ready to change the logical
network configuration (IP address etc.) in order to
introduce this linux box.

We then used 2.4.18 kernel to develop a bridge with
netfilter, so that logical network need not be
disturbed. It is currently deployed with 8 or our
customers.

Problem: It takes too much of time to start (running
CIII cyrix motherboard) and is a bulky O/S we dont
need most of the stuff that is installed/running on
the server.

We want to make a small linux distribution based on
the kernel 2.4.18 with bridge-nf patch, which should
install on a 256 MB usb memory.

We know it could be done. Resources, including time,
allocated to us are running out and we need help
urgently.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Apologies if we are at wrong place.

Peter