Re: distinguishing console and terminal devices

On 5/24/05, Jim Bauer <jfbauer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> /dev/tty always refers to the process's current tty.
> /dev/tty0 always referrs to the currently active one.

The distinction is clear now. However, the man console(4) says: "The
current console is addressed by /dev/console or /dev/tty0"

This confused me a little. How could /dev/console and /dev/tty0 be
your current console, at certain points in time? Or is the manual page
outdated/wrong?

> /dev/console is used for some kernel messages.  Some
> other things may write to it like syslogd.

Is /dev/console a special driver layer on top of tty? Kernel message
buffer AFAIK is accessed via syslog system call and via /proc. So why
do we need a /dev/console?

Sorry I'm asking a lot, but the documentation did not make the best
clarification for me. Also ldd 3 doesn't include much on /dev/console
device.

Thanks,
Bahadir