Re: Share Wait Queue between different modules ?

>> Does all the running processes share this stack .

>No, Each task have their Own.

um? I heard that all kernel stack is shared by all tasks.

so, when they(tasks) do context switching, shared kernel stack makes tasks be able to do context switching faster( or .. less overhaed )

did i misunderstand?

2005/5/17, Manish Regmi <regmi.manish@xxxxxxxxx>:
On 5/15/05, Dinesh Ahuja <mdlinux7@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Please clarify me on below point :
> We say that kernel space is very much limited around
> 8KB.

Each Process(task) has a Kernel stack(different from user mode stack)
which is used when running in Kernel Mode ie during system calls. It
is Fixed 8K or even 4k in 2.6.

> Does all the running processes share this stack .

No, Each task have their Own.

> Sharing wait queues will be difficult if the kernel
> space is 8KB for all the ready processes because then
> the no of wait_queue_t elements which can be added
> will be limited.

I cant understand what are you talking about.
Only the task's kernel stack is 8k not Whole kernel memory.

N.B: These are very  basic things. So i would recommend you read some
books on Operating Systems. Linux Kernel Development by Robert Love.

regards
Manish Regmi

"Owning a hammer doesn't make one an architect"

Archive:       http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ:           http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/

--
+82-10-3161-0419 (Korea,South)