Re: where does driver framework call device_driver->probe?

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 07:51:55PM +0100, Bahadir Balban wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the devices on my system does not get recognised. I'm trying to
> find out whats wrong.
>
> What I figured out is that, the driver's probe function is registered
> properly, i.e. the struct device_driver->probe is assigned the right
> probe function at some point.
>
> I couldn't find where each of the probe functions are called by the
> generic device framework. Somewhere there's supposed to be a linked
> list of device_driver structs and their probe's must have been called.
> Do you know where?
>
> Note that its a bus device.

What kind of bus device?  PCI?  USB?  Firewire?

And are you sure that your driver's ids match one that is present in the
system at the time?  That is what is needed for the probe to be called.

See the Linux Device Drivers book for a detailed chapter about how the
whole probe process works (it's online for free if you don't want to buy
it.)

thanks,

greg k-h