Re: hotpluggable device detection

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 12:05:27PM -0500, suresh ds wrote:
> Suppose a PCI device is plugged onto the PCI bus, after the system is up and running.

Oh, do that and watch the sparks fly, and your machine catch on fire!
What fun...  DO NOT DO THIS IN A MACHINE THAT IS NOT SPECIALLY BUILT TO
HANDLE IT!!!

> 1. How does the system come to know that a new device has been
> plugged? (From the hardware side, any interrupt is sent to the CPU?).

Um, you can't do that.  And it doesn't know.

> 2. How does the driver for this new device gets loaded?

It doesn't.

Now if you have a machine that has a PCI Hotplug controller, that would
be a totally different issue, but you don't say that...

> For point no.2, I want to print some excerpts from Alessandro Rubuni's
> "linux device driver" book, Chapter 15. section "Handling
> Hot-Pluggable Devices".

Please see the Third Edition for a much better description of hotplug
issues and how the PCI subsystem works.  It's free online if you don't
want to buy it.

> I expect answers to both point no.1 and questions based on point no.2.

Is this your homework?

greg k-h