RE: How to make module work with different kernel versions?

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:19:58AM -0700, Sanjay wrote:
> Then, do I have to distribute separate binary module to each kernel
> release?.

Why do you think that it is legal to distribute binary modules for Linux
at all?

That being said, yes, you need a different binary module for every
kernel release, with every different combination of kernel configuration
options, and every different kernel compiler that anyone might use.
Also watch out for the different kernel apis between kernel versions,
they change all the time (sometimes in ways that don't make it easy to
notice...)

Good luck with that huge matrix of options, I've seen it drive many a
person quickly insane.

>>>  Article @ http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT4389927951.html

Says .. "The Module versioning support option (marked as experimental in the
current 2.6 kernel source) adds extra versioning information to compiled
modules at build-time. This information is designed to help increase module
portability to kernels other than the one that they were compiled against."

Anyways this is not working for me. Do you have any idea about the same?

Thanks/Sanjay