Re: Physical memory wierdness!!

Jason J. Herne wrote:

One thing I just noticed:  Each VMA seems to be some multiple of
PAGE_SIZE (4096 on i386).  Does this mean that each VMA is made up of a
number of "virtual pages" (even though Linux seems to have no data
struct for this) and each one is PAGE_SIZE bytes?

Yes. To keep things simple, PAGE_SIZE refers to the size of both the virtual and physical pages. This is dependent on the CPU architecture. For instance, I think some Sparc (or is it Alpha?) processors have 8KB pages.

Does this also mean that each one of those 'virtual pages' maps directly
onto a physical page, so every address in the between PAGE_SIZE byte
boundaries in a VMA will map to the exact same physical page?

Yes.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer