Kernel 2.6 Build environment

Hi all,
I wanted to know the kernel 2.6 build environment differs from earlier
2.4 kernel, i.e. what are the differences in Makefiles and how know
kernel config options are added. From a cursory glance of the code I
realised that in kernel 2.4 we had "Config.in" files storing config
options,  which is replaced by the file "Kconfig" in kernel 2.6.
I believe this also has resulted in the removal of the step "make dep"
while compiling kernel 2.6.
Can someone throw some light on how these files are constructed (their
syntax and structure) or point to some documentation in this regard.

Thanks in advance,
Shourya