Re: Raw network packets in kernel

Hello,

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 05:12:12 +0100 (BST), Amit Singh
<amitsingh_blr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The netfilter framework shld be of help to you, using it you can capture
> packets in the kernel at various stages in IP(like pre routing, post
> routing) etc ... and can divert them to user space if you wish to.
> Read more about it on www.netfilter.org

Amit,
    I am not sure what exactly did he mean by "capturing the packet
off the wire" but once I needed to capture all packets in promiscuous
mode in a project of mine and I also thought of netfilter as the
solution to my problem. What i didn't know was that netfilter would
not accept any packet which is not destined to you (checked by the
destination HW address rather than the IP IIRC). What i did was to put
my own irq handler into the rx_hook of the struct net_device of my
ethernet interface. But I dont find any field named "rx_hook" in the
struct net_device in the 2.6 source tree. Hope you and/or others can
shed some light on this.

Regards,

Zeeshan Ali.