char driver module prob.

hi all,

I had written a small character driver under kernel 2.4.20.
For starters I had implemented it's read method only. This
would put a constant string "hello" into the user-space
buffer. The problem I'm seeing is that when i "cat" my device
it does not print anything on the console (i.e cat and not the
printk's in my driver...they get printed fine!). strace of cat
shows that it calls my drivers read method twice...first time
i copy the constant string into the user's buffer and return the
bytes copied....and on the second invocation i return 0 as there's
nothing more to read. strace shows cat writing out to the std.
output after the first read....but nothing comes on the console!!
if I put '\n' character in my constant string it prints out the
string correctly! I'm guessing the newline char causes the o/p
stream to be flushed....is this expected behavior??

TIA,
-mandeep