Re: Overcommit (OOM) problem on embedded device with no swap

Hi Erik,

Does anybody have an idea to where I can take this question?
Linux-kernel would be a good place, but before you do, make sure you
try to recreate your problem on a *recent* kernel. There were some
changes to the VM system in the two years since 2.4.20 was released.
Nobody is interested in fixing bugs in ancient kernel releases.

Sure - that would be a good idea. I just don't know if that'll work - although I haven't tried.
The kernel in question is given by my board vendor and has been patched with respect to the hardware - NAND flash, etc.
But maybe these patches are put into the 2.6 branch - haven't looked, yet...
It's a PPChameleon board with a PPC405...
Don't know about that, but if you need a 2.4 branch, you could try
2.4.29 or 2.4.30-rc3.
Now, I could try those in my RH 7.3 VMware...

I'm considering testing it in VMWare with swap disabled - I'll do that, yes - good idea... Gollum! ;-)
That should indeed be an easy way to test. User mode linux would be
another way to test.
I just tried in my FC2 (2.6.5) with no swap - disabled it from /etc/fstab - and it still works as it should - as opposed to my embedded target.

I guess I'll go for the RH 7.3 test now...

Thanks for pushing my into the "right" direction Erik...

// Martin

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/