Getting a Kernel panic while booting kernel..

Greetings,

I have a RedHat Enterprise 4 system up and running.  I
am trying to run a variant of the stock kernel that
comes with this distribution.  I performed the
following steps:

- Installed the src rpm (2.6.9)
- Copied the config file from /boot dir to Linux 2.6.9
kernel src dir
- make oldconfig ; make all
- Copied the bzImage and System.map file to the /boot
dir
- In the grub.conf file, duplicated the line that
booted up RH 4, and changed pertinent stuff as
follows:

title 2.6.9-prep
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-prep ro
root=LABEL=/1234 rhgb quiet mem=448M vga=791

Info about my system - a single Xeon motherboard, with
IDE bootup disk.

When I try to boot up this kernel I get something like
the following:
"Kernel panic : not syncing.  Kernel unable to mount
file system...."

The only thing I did not do is prepare/insatll a
initrd file.  Do I need to do that?

Am I missing some steps?  Any help would be very
appreciated.  I am attaching my .config file.

Thanks you,
Aha.