Re: Network driver - what is RBDs, RFDs

Tomas Telensky (tomas@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > >I'm looking in sources of e100 network driver. I can't find meaning "RFDs"
> > >and
> > >"RBDs" anywhere... Does any of you know what these abbreviations mean?
> > >

> > grep'ing in drivers/net/e100 gave :
> >
> > e100.h:/* Receive Buffer Descriptor (RBD)*/
> > e100.h:/* Receive Frame Descriptor (RFD) - will be using the simple model*/
>
> Thanks :)
>
> Does anyone know what it is - what it serves for?

Hi,

Go further reading code.
a 1 second search on : http://lxr.linux.no/source/drivers/net/e100.c
gives me :
<snip>
IV.  Recieve
"The Receive Frame Area (RFA) comprises a ring of Receive
 Descriptors (RFD) + data buffer, thus forming the simplified mode
 memory structure.  Rx skbs are allocated to contain both the RFD
 and the data buffer, but the RFD is pulled off before the skb is
 indicated.  The data buffer is aligned such that encapsulated
 protocol headers are u32-aligned.  Since the RFD is part of the
 mapped shared memory, and completion status is contained within
 the RFD, the RFD must be dma_sync'ed to maintain a consistent
 view from software and hardware."
<snip>

I think all is in the code.

	~Christophe