screen blanking ioctl

Hi All,

I wanted a way to blank the screen (stop drawing of image on monitor)
from the user space may be by calling an IOCTL or something.

I looked at the kernel code for video drivers and find that the
drivers do implement a blank/unblank interface that allows the user
space application to set the VSYNC to zero. This might be possibly
used by power management APIs to blank the screen.

Wanted to know how do i invoke this kernel routine from the user
space. I guess there should be a ioctl interface or something
equivalent for it.

For example <linux-kernel-source>/drivers/video/vgacon.c implements a
callback for con_blank called vgacon_blank. Could anyone direct me on
how to call this interface from the user space?

Thanks,
-Jinu