Re: Sleeping With Interrupts Disabled.

> On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 00:30 -0500, Gopu Bhaskar wrote:
> > Is it OK to sleep when interrupts are disabled ?
> > The following is the implementation of interruptible_sleep_on in 2.6.10
> > Here we see that interrupts are disabled before schedule is called and
> > enabled back only when the control comes back. I wanted to know
> > the reason for doing this. And also whether sleeping with
> > interrupts disabled
> > has any negetive impact.
>

> you should never use any of these functions. THey're there for legacy
> reasons but they are known broken and severely deprecated.

Sorry for persisting on this, even though you said that this function is
broken. I was just curious why the call to schedule is made with interrupts
disabled. AFAIK schedule is called from time to time by utilizing the timer
interrupt(update_process_times). If the timer interrupt itself doesnt come
 then how can the task be scheduled back ?
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm