Re: Implementation of Buffer Headers in Linux kernel

I have a few queries regarding the buffer headers in
linux.

1. As per my understanding, block number in this
stucture corresponds to the block no of the data on a
logical device rather than on a physical device (hard
disk).

AFAIK the block nr is a logical number that can be remapped by either the block driver or the physical device.

2. Why do we need pointer to a pointer for hash list ?

In the below, we have used a pointer for free list,
then why pointer to pointer has been used for hash
list.

My guess is that a double pointer is used to keep a constant reference even though the underlying hash list can change. So the current hash list can be always accessed through **b_pprev.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

--Swapnil

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/