RE: About Interrupts

Hi thanks for the reply :-)
some more queries...

> > Setserial shows this info:
> > /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4,
> Baud_base: 115200,
> > close_delay: 256, divisor: 0
> > closing_wait: 15360
> > Flags: spd_normal skip_test
>
> So there already is a driver that took control of the serial port.

yes thats the one i want to replace with my own driver.

> You can't randomly free interrupts, and you're certainly not supposed
> to free interrupts when you just *enabled* the interrupt source on the
> device.

right, will change this. but can i replace the existing driver by doing
this?
i mean, free irq -> then request irq -> enable interrupts

> > Another program that polls COM1 works fine.
>
> Two drivers competing for the same piece of hardware, that's a recipe
> for disaster. Remove the standard serial module and retry your own
> module.

i was trying to read COM1 by 2 ways, by polling COM port which works
fine.
The interrupt driven is not. these two are not loaded at the same time,
am loading only one of these at a time.

so i guess i'm not able to disable the standard COM1 irq handler?