Re: cpu usage information in proc fs

sounak chakraborty wrote:

after reading the proc.txt file
i come to the following conclusion

Please read the QA part of Erik's response below. If you don't bother to read the responses, I'm pretty sure the responses will stop coming.

i get the total clock speed of the cpu from /proc/cpuinfo from cpu MHz entry
now i add the values of all the colomns in the first row of /proc/stat(the row which starts with cpu).this gives the total cpu usage.
then i am dividing the above value with 1000 and the resulting answer is again divided with the total clock speed to get the percentage of cpu usage.
is my approach correct.
i am checking my results with system moniter but there is a variation
plz rectify me
if i am wrong
thanks sounak

<http://clients.rediff.com/signature/track_sig.asp>