Re: symbol_get()/symbol_put() ?

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 02:35:20PM -0800, Dominick - wrote:
> like I said, not my choice.  Work at a big company.
> Our product isn't free on linux or open-source.

The GPL doesn't say your product has to be free as in beer, so your
company can charge whatever they want. The GPL says your product has to
be free as in speech.

> Don't agree with it but I have no say, I'm a nobody.

From the vendor FAQ at http://www.gplviolations.org :

  Q: What should I do if our company has violated the license ?

  A: Fix it. The same as you would a violation of any proprietary
     software license.
     Another way of looking at this is to ask the question would I
     infringe the copyright of IBM software, or Intel software, or HP
     software ?
     Probably not - but if you do so with Linux you are violating
     Intel, IBM and HP licenses all at once...

I guess your legal affairs department would be pleased to be warned
about violating the copyright of a couple of large companies (plus the
copyright of all other contributors to linux).

But, like Arjan said, nothing is wrong as long as you don't ship the
module.

Erik (IANAL)

--
Erik Mouw