From: Arjan van de Ven [mailto:arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:31 AM
To: Prokopenko, Konstantyn
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2G+ user space memory allocation problem

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 10:50 -0500, Prokopenko, Konstantyn wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I've got 4GB machine running Fedora Core1 and custom kernel 2.6.4.
>
> My user application performs huge data manipulations and requires
> 2.7GB to be allocated.
>
> I can allocate only 2 GB of user space memory.
>
> The question is - what about 3/1 GB user/kernel scheme? Why it is not
> possible to allocate more than 2 GB in user space?

if you used the FC1 kernel or a more recent 2.6 kernel you would have
been able to malloc 3Gb. So in a way this is your own doing ;)

> Thank you.

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to DeliveryErrors@xxxxxxxxxxxx - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.