RE: A folish question

Hello Erik,

Thanks for that transfer.

> > Thanks for making the Console/Graphic console thing clear.
> > Indeed my plan is to get an understanding about the Linux Display
driver
> > Architecture.
> >
> > I am just aware of framebuffer driver architecture.

Sorry, I made a mistake. I know that Xserver is user land app
Just look at below.

	--------
> >  	 Fbcon   -- kernel level
> > 	 Fbdev
> > 	 Fbcon-*
> >
> > I think this is the way the display driver works.
>
> The kernel does not use an X server. The X server has nothing to do
> with the frame buffer drivers, except that X could use the frame
buffer
> as its display. You could also use gtk-fb or Qt-fb to display a GUI.

Yes, X server uses the framebuffer driver supplied buffer. I just weanne
to know, is there another way that a GUI application can work without
using Framebuufer driver & probably through some other display driver.

I just have this in mind because; assume that I have an i810 chipset
grph card. The Xserver also provides a driver (i810_drv.o) for that
which is not framebuffer driver.
Probably, this is what is in use on my system just because I have no
access to /dev/fb0 & on accessing it says NO such device.

Also, how could the Xserver dynamically change the interfaces like
sometimes accessing /dev/fb0 or /dev/xxx?

Is the i810_drv.o a monolithic driver?

> > If I want to write/modify the driver to rotate the screen by 90
degrees,
> > at which level/files I need to do the modifications in the above
shown
> > files.
>
> No need for that, X already supports that through the RANDR extention.
> It was developed to allow on-the-fly rotating of screen contents on
> hand-held devices, but it can be used on desktops as well.

Is it available in XFree86 version 4.3.0 release? Can u please forward
me a document or links of that kind that could narrate me how I use
Xserver to rotate the screen.

> Erik
>
> --
> Erik Mouw