Re: partition info

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 05:05:48PM -0700, anandtiwari@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The Large Disk howto just says that linux doesnt have alignment
> requirements , but i read at many places  that it partition should start
> and end at cylinder boundaries.

The true reason fails to escape me, because the partition table has
room for cylinders, heads and sectors:

struct partition_descriptor {
        unsigned char boot_indicator;
        unsigned char begin_chs[3];
        unsigned char type;
        unsigned char end_chs[3];
        unsigned int start;
        unsigned int size;
};

(structure members begin_chs and end_chs). I guess the real reason is
that a certain software company from Redmond WA wanted to simlify their
code and required aligned boundaries.

It doesn't matter anymore, because we're using LBA addressing anyway.
The start and size structure members (should) contain the correct
address (in sectors) on the disk.

See also: http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/ .

Erik

--