How to implement support for "select" system call for a polling device driver

Hi All,

I need to implement "select" system call for a character device. The
character device i am talking to doesnt not raise any interrupt when there
is data. It just writes the data on the HPI bus.

Now for me to provide support for select, the poll_wait function should be
waiting on a wait_queue and should be awakened by the Rx interrupt process.
Is there a way to implement this other than creating a separate polling
task(kernel_thread)  for receive, which continuously polls the device and
awakes the wait queue when there is data?

Thanks
Vanitha

[This e-mail is confidential and may be priviledged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please kindly notify us immediately and delete the message
from your system; please do not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose
its contents to any other person. Thank you.]