Re: Booting a udev only system

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 23:32, Nori, Soma Sekhar wrote:

> Should ramfs be the filesystem for /dev in case devfs is not used?
> If yes, how can I get this configured?
>
> I have the udev and hotplug programs loaded into the cramfs image,
> but frankly I cant see how they come into the picture till the root
> device is mounted successfully.

When init starts /dev/console, /dev/zero (and maybe /dev/null)
need to already exist.  So using devfs for /dev would be difficult
especially since you don't want an initrd.

If you don't want root writeable right away you could try
something like this...

Have a minimal /dev (real disk FS) with above nodes.
mount -t tmpfs /udev (or some other memory-bases FS)
udevstart (should be configured to use /udev)
mount --bind /udev /dev