Re: Page Replacement in 2.6.10

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Rahul Iyer wrote:

I was trying to understand the page replacement code on kernel 2.6.10. I was looking at the code for kswapd and from what i gather, it seems like kswapd is woken up only in low memory situations... am i right?

Yes.

Also, is it true that there is no kernel thread that ages the pages (struct page has no page->age field). I have gone through documentation for the linux kernel MM and Mel Gorman's seems to be the closest to it.

Is Mel Gorman's documentation up to date with the 2.6 kernel yet ?

I have also read Rik's doc on Page replacement in the 2.4 kernel, which talks of page aging. These 2 seem to contradict... :(

2.4-rmap and 2.6 use different methods of page replacement.

If you ask a question, I could try to answer it ;)