PF_FREEZE & refrigerator()

Hi,

At some places in file system code (and I am sure in a lot of other places) functions check if PF_FREEZE is in current->flags and if so call refrigerator(PF_FREEZE). Otherwise they just put themselves on a waitqueue and sleep. I know that refrigerator basically makes a thread "stop" and I think that it is used for suspension of process for sleeping on laptops and possible for process migration on SMP systems. Are there any reasons for doing things this way and is my understanding of refrigerator correct? Are there any other uses for that function?

Thanks,
Can Sar

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/