Re: Tgid vs. pid

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 12:14:04PM -0800, Can Sar hit keys to express the following:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently reading the great new paper that documents the Linux
> scheduler and it talks about the difference between tgid and pid
> task_struct. It says that the real equivalent of a Posix pid is
> actually the tgid. So I was wondering whether the pid's shown in ps are
> tgid's or pid's? I have a feeling that they are still pid's, but I am
> not sure. Anyone know?
getpid() call returns tgid, not pid.
ps is a part of procps utilities reading /proc file system. It must be reading
tgid, although I am not very sure till I read the source. You can do that too
;-)

For those who does not know, Josh Aas has published a paper on linux 2.6.8.1
scheduler (http://josh.trancesoftware.com/linux/). He details the implementation
details of linux scheduler by Ingo Molnar.
Thanks Josh Aas.

HTH.
om.
--
Don't despair; your ideal lover is waiting for you around the corner.