RE: Core dump question

Thanks!

-> -----Original Message-----
-> From: Bill Rugolsky Jr. [mailto:brugolsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
-> Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:51 AM
-> To: Steve Iribarne
-> Cc: kernel newbies
-> Subject: Re: Core dump question
->
-> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 07:18:48AM -0800, Steve Iribarne wrote:
-> > 1.  Does anyone know of a good library that I can build my app with
-> that
-> > I can do a quick stack trace and dump those results somewhere.
->
-> Glibc include the backtrace*() family of functions, see "info libc".
-> Here's an excerpt:
->
-> - Function: int backtrace (void **BUFFER, int SIZE)
->      The `backtrace' function obtains a backtrace for the current
->      thread, as a list of pointers, and places the information into
->      BUFFER.  The argument SIZE should be the number of `void *'
->      elements that will fit into BUFFER.  The return value is the
->      actual number of entries of BUFFER that are obtained, and is at
->      most SIZE.
->
->  - Function: char ** backtrace_symbols (void *const *BUFFER, int
SIZE)
->      The `backtrace_symbols' function translates the information
->      obtained from the `backtrace' function into an array of strings.
->      The argument BUFFER should be a pointer to an array of addresses
->      obtained via the `backtrace' function, and SIZE is the number of
->      entries in that array (the return value of `backtrace').
->
->  - Function: void backtrace_symbols_fd (void *const *BUFFER, int
SIZE,
->           int FD)
->      The `backtrace_symbols_fd' function performs the same
translation
->      as the function `backtrace_symbols' function.  Instead of
returning
->      the strings to the caller, it writes the strings to the file
->      descriptor FD, one per line.  It does not use the `malloc'
->      function, and can therefore be used in situations where that
->      function might fail.
->
->
-> pstack(1) will print a stack backtrace of a running process.
->
-> Coretrace is a small backtrace program for core dumps,
-> http://www.arbetsmyra.dyndns.org/coretrace/
->
-> > 2.  Can someone tell me how to make the coredump happen in a
"known"
-> > good location.
->
-> My /etc/sysctl.conf looks like:
->
-> # Controls where core dumps are stored and how they are named.
-> # See linux/Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt for details.
-> kernel.core_pattern = /extra_disk/core/%e:%t:%s:%h:%u:%g:%p
-> kernel.suid_dumpable = 2
->
-> The suid_dumpable sysctl is from a patch posted by Alan Cox to the
lkml,
-> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109647550421014&w=2
->
-> 	-Bill