Re: Variables in task_struct

Thanks for  the suggestions.   I meant to explain a bit more about what I wanted but i hadn't gotten to checking the replies.  I said or meant to say in my first post that I'm doing a project for my degree course that involves manipulating the page swapping for specific tasks.  I have been researching it but I'm struggling to find anything I can use. For example I'd been looking up task_struct and page swapping in linux and nothing like the site that Guillaume Thouvenin linked to in the last reply seemed to be showing up in the google searches I'd made and any library books on this sort of thing tend to be out of date or too general.  Most of the what I found either was theoretical and had very little mention of the source code or just showed uncommented code with no explanations. The variables I found in the source that looked like they could be what I needed were:

unsigned long kernel_stack_page;

/* mm fault and swap info: this can arguably be seen as either mm-specific or thread-specific */ unsigned long min_flt, maj_flt, nswap, cmin_flt, cmaj_flt, cnswap; int swappable:1; unsigned long swap_address;

Pid seemed particularly mysterious but after using the same name for a variable in a different program I'm writing I presume this must be proess ID.  (The program was a game trainer for windows so it's not much help for linux.)

I'm trying to find a few different way of manipulating the page swapping.  I managed to find a site that mentioned a page fault handler.  I can't find the site right now but the one I looked at showed a list of funtions that would eventually be called as a result of a page fault but it didn't really explain how.  I'm want to try to lower the priority of pages as the handler swaps them out of memory (or raise it when they get swapped in) or to do the same from the schedule function if I can.  It seems like my project is going to mostly involve getting the priority change as close the part where the page is certain to be swapped.

(Sorry if I havn't been sure on what's been said already.  I can't connect to the main page to re-check what's already been posted.)  The site Guillaume refered me too seems very usefull, thanks.